[Samba] Internal DNS logging

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Fri Jan 19 09:01:18 UTC 2018

Hi Giuseppe,

> I was looking for the option 'dns:x' in the wiki but I didn't find it.
> Now it works.
>
> I used
>
>    log level = 3 auth:3  dns:0
>
> auth_audit:3 gives me unknown class message

it must be only available in 4.7. The last increment 4.7.4 is production
ready (we've got it deployed on dozens of DCs) and has many nice
improvements over 4.6. You should consider upgrading, at least for
domain controllers.

> But where I can find a complete list of classes for log level?

you can run any samba-tool command with debug level 9 and it will start
by listing all the logging classes. For example

# samba-tool fsmo show -d9
INFO: Current debug levels:
   all: 9
   tdb: 9
   printdrivers: 9
   lanman: 9
   smb: 9
   rpc_parse: 9
   rpc_srv: 9
   rpc_cli: 9
   passdb: 9
   sam: 9
   auth: 9
   winbind: 9
   vfs: 9
   idmap: 9
   quota: 9
   acls: 9
   locking: 9
   msdfs: 9
   dmapi: 9
   registry: 9
   scavenger: 9
   dns: 9
   ldb: 9
   tevent: 9
   auth_audit: 9
   auth_json_audit: 9
   kerberos: 9
   drs_repl: 9

> I'll also give a try on the last version of samba with json.

Json logs are much easier to parse if you need to pipe them into a SIEM
or similar.

Cheers,

Denis

--