[Samba] Internal DNS logging

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Thu Jan 18 14:40:26 UTC 2018

Hi Giuseppe,

> I have two Samba domain controllers version 4.6.4 on Centos 7.3.
>
> I need to log every login/logout from windows PCs and I read on the wiki
> that I have to set log level >=3, this works.
>
> The problem is that my log.samba is filled by internal DNS messages,
> most of them about forwarding.
>
> in my smb.conf:
>
>         log level = 3 auth:10
>         vfs objects = full_audit
>
> I googled around but I cannot find anything to avoid this.

For login, you should upgrade your server to Samba 4.7.4 and add json
auth logging with the auth_json_audit parameter [1].

For logout, it won't be really possible to have a definitive information
from the AD point of view. But you can probably script something on your
desktop and send it back to the server (if the network connection is
still up...)

Cheers,

Denis

[1] https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Audit_Logging