[Samba] Home folder: a simple mapping or something more?

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Jan 15 12:24:21 UTC 2018

Hai Marco,

If it does not work, that it probely has todo with "NT Authority\SYSTEM" and winbindd bugs.

And howto test that.
Create a few shares and on one set :
acl_xattr:ignore system acl = yes

If you setup like this: ( which matches the MS preffered setting )
\\server\users\%username%
\\server\profiles\%username%

And same for any software deploy folder. ( same also for the Sysvol folder )
These al work much better if you setup with acl_xattr:ignore system acl = yes.
! Beware, if you setup like this you MUST set all rights again, share and file/folder rights.

Now i have not tested this lately since my setup uses acl_xattr:ignore system acl = yes a lot,
on all places only windows is accessing my shares and this results in a much better working setup.

And all my redirected folders point to UNC path's, not driver letters, i have these also and both work fine.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Windows_Profile_Folder_Redirections
Is a bad example imo.., this part is the "bad" part of it. ! There is no need to make registry keys. !
If setup correctly, this works fine as it should.

Set the following:
 Action: Replace
 Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
 Key Path: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
 Value name: For example, to redirect the Documents folder, enter: Personal
For a list of other registry keys of folders you can redirect, see the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders entry in your local Windows registry. Value type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
 Value data: For example: \\server\%USERNAME%\Documents
Windows automatically replaces the %USERNAME% variable with the name of the current user when the policy is applied.

There is only one "but"...
If you setup with RFC2307, and you did add the profiles and/or user homedir in ( like : \\server\users\%username% )
And you add an UID after that, you wont be able to use the user home folder since it was created with an other UID!.

The order of what you do and how you do it is important here.

Greetz,

Louis