[Samba] Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

Gaeseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 16:43:00 UTC 2018

Just for reference,  on a working  Samba 4.x server in an AD domain I have the following  entries

	Idmap config *:backend = tdb
	Idmap config *:range = 2000-2999

	Idmap config MYDOMAIN:backend = ad
	Idmap config MYDOMAIN:schema_mode = rfc2307
	Idmap config *:range = 1000-1999

I use active directory users and groups to explicitly set the uid and gid numbers (this was to keep everything happy when migrating from a classic domain.)    The "*" range in idmap will handle accounts that are not in the domain (which there really shouldn't be any.)

The "getent passwd'  command verifies that the winbind entry in nsswitch is working.      You should also fine that "wbinfo -n someuser" and "wbinfo -n YOURDOMAIN\someuser" should return the same SID.  And "wbinfo -s someid" should return the correct "YOURDOMAIN\someuser" value.

I really don't understand why the this should behave differently when connecting to server IP vs server name.     The various logs on the samba server should show if you are seeing connection attempts from "YOURDOMAIN\someuser" or use "someuser" and is maybe mapping the users differently.  You might need to bump up the logging level.