[Samba] Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 23:32:08 UTC 2018

If Windows is the domain controller, then it is an AD domain.       If
you are running Samba 3 domain controller then it would be emulating an
NT4-type domain controller. I am presuming samba 3.x machine is
configured as a domain member?

Last year when the BADLOCK vulnerability came out, Microsoft issued
various patches that were likely to break compatibility with Samba
3.x.      Samba did not release a minor version upgrade for Samba 3.x to
include this patch.      So you would have to compile the patch your self.

You can run a WINS server on Windows or Samba.      WINS is the
equivalent of a DNS server for Netbios names in a TCP/IP environment.

Can you run "testparm -v" on your samba system?  You may  see

             smb ports = 445 139
             disable netbios = No
             wins server = (the ip address of your wins server, if you
have one)

I found in a classic samba domain, that explicitly setting the smb ports
value to 139 only created problems.    I don't know what would happen if
you set to 445 only.   I don't know if the "disable netbios" option is
available with samba 3.x.        I had a classic domain that I migrated
to an AD domain, but I haven't tried disabling all the netbios stuff
yet.     I would think if you could then this might get simpler.

You may also want to do some packet captures on the samba server to
compare compare connection attempts.

Assuming the client DNS is setup that both "ping shortname" and
"nslookup shortname" work?

What version OS is the samba system running on?