[Samba] Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

Rob Marshall rob.marshall17 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 17:41:09 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'm working on getting copies of the smb.conf and log files off the site.
It's complicated...I'm just trying to connect to a share that's defined in
the smb.conf. If I open a Windows Explorer and do: \\10.x.x.x I see the
available shares and can click on them and open them. However if I do
\\fred, i.e. the short (I've also tried the fully qualified) name, I can
see the shares but I get the "Access is denied" and the logon window when I
try to open them.

Rob