[Samba] What happend if I use option ? --domain-critical-only

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Fri Jan 12 15:44:06 UTC 2018

Hi Denis,

> What happend if I use " --domain-critical-only" in the domain join
> operation ?
>
> For example:
>
> samba-tool domain join dtcf.etecsa.cu DC -U "DTCF\administrator"
> --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ -d 3 --domain-critical-only

The --domain-critical-only option will replicate only the bare minimum
to startup the new DC in the domain.

Then after the first startup, it will start to replicate all the other
objects from the AD.

> I couldn't join normally a second DC because of an object replication
> error. So I tried with this option and it done!
>
> But will both DC1 and DC2 work find ?

Usually I advise to use --domain-critical-only because it will force to
have almost all the objects will go through the standard replication
procedure, which for some reasons seems to be stricter than initial join
(at least up to 4.6, I haven't had such kind of discrepancies (yet) on
4.7). It is better to see the problem as early as possible.

However after the first join, you have to check that the replication is
working properly witch samba-tool drs showrepl, add a user on one side
and check that it arrived on the other side.

Cheers,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon