[Samba] Cannot remove offline domain

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Thu Jan 11 16:20:20 UTC 2018

Hi Harsh,

> I am trying to remove a dead offline domain using the below command which
> is failing
>
> samba-tool domain demote --remove-other-dead-server=IUMONG-RODC
> -UAdministrator
> ERROR: Demote failed: DemoteException: IUMONG-RODC is not an AD DC in
> iumnet.edu.na
> A transaction is still active in ldb context [0x2bf15b0] on
> tdb:///var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb
>
> IUMONG-RODC domain is still visible under domain controllers in Active
> Directory Users and Computers.

I'll suppose from the name of your DC that it is a RODC. I've never used
the demote command line to remove a RODC. Perhaps you have found a bug.

Anyway, you can still remove all the references by hand. To know which
entries to delete, you can demote a RWDC in a testbed, it will list all
the entries that have to be remove, then you'll have to remove them by
hand in your production domain.

Cheers,

Denis

--