[Samba] ADS Domain Member - getent problem

Franz Gansberger franz.gansberger at boku.ac.at
Wed Jan 10 17:43:37 UTC 2018

Hello List,
I'm running a Samba ADS on Debian 9, Samba version 4.5.12-Debian.
Right now I'll try to add a Domain member - also running Samba version 4.5.12-Debian.
Thanks to Loius and Rowland, this howto guided me a lot in the right direction: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member

But right now I'll get stuck. It seems that the configuration is ok - AD-members are successfully joined, I can ping via "wbinfo --ping-dc", all the tests regarding name resolution are working, and of course I'll get the complete list of users and groups via wbinfo -u or wbinfo -g on the member servers.  :-)

The users are maintained via ADUC on the DC, and every user and group has its UID assignd.

Surprisingly only "getent group" generates the list of groups with the correct ID's on the domain members. I tried this at two different members.
"getent passwd demo1" (or "getent passwd "H950\demo1"") generates nothing.

This is the config file from the domain member - smb.conf

[global]
	   security = ADS
	   workgroup = H950
	   realm = H950.SOME.DOMAIN
	   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	   log level = 5

#map untrusted to domain = Yes

	  # Default idmap config for local BUILTIN accounts and groups
	 idmap config * : backend = tdb
	  idmap config * : range = 20000-20999

	   idmap config H950:default = true
	   idmap config H950:schema mode = rfc2307
	   idmap config H950:backend = ad
	   idmap config H950:range = 500-9999
	   idmap config H950:unix_nss_info = yes
	   idmap config H950:unix_primary_group = yes
	   winbind nss info = rfc2307

	   username map = /etc/samba/user.map
	   acl allow execute always = True
	   unix charset = UTF8

winbind use default domain = yes
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind refresh tickets = yes

Is there anything I'm missing? Or mixing up? I'm sure ... ;-)

Thank you guys for your work!
Kind regards
Franz