[Samba] Adding a Windows Server 2008 as a DC to the domain fails

Roy Eastwood spindles7 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 12:23:15 UTC 2018

Hi,
 I have a samba domain based on Samba version 4.7.4 compiled from sources
running on Debian Stretch v 9.3.   The domain is working fine, but when I try to
add another DC (a Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition) using the Wiki at
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_2008_/_2008_R2_DC_to_a
_Samba_AD it fails with the error:

"The operation failed because:
The functional level of the domain or forest is incompatible with this operating
system...."

I have tried with a Windows Server 2008 R2 version and that works OK, but cannot
get the one without the R2 upgrade to join.

Any help please?

Thanks,

Roy Eastwood