[Samba] DHCP and DNS

David Bear dwbear75 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 19:41:05 UTC 2018

I know this is samba list and I am hoping that someone with MS AD
experience can answer this definitively.

Does AD have some kind of data exchange between dhcp and dns so that
systems which receive a dhcp lease from an AD DC more reliably register
their hostname with AD DNS?  Looking at the RFC I couldn't see any reason
why this should be the case. But it seems that host name registration for
all DHCP devices is much more consistent when using AD for the dhcp
service. Previously we were using our cisco router. It was rather hit and
miss with DNS registrations that way. We switch to using AD DHCP about 3
months ago and the numbers of host names registered to AD DNS seems to have
really improved.

Sorry this isn't strickly a SAMBA question, but I thought of AD had some
kind of API or data exchange between DHCP and DNS, then samba might also
have it.

--
David Bear
mobile: (602) 903-6476