[Samba] Upgrading from 4.6.x to 4.7.x AD and member server setup - recommended path

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Mon Jan 1 18:18:51 UTC 2018

> Am 31.12.2017 um 17:32 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>:
>
> On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 16:18:27 +0100
> Götz Reinicke via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we have three 4.6.x AD servers in a cluster
>
> What do you mean by 'a cluster' ?
>
> If you mean an actual cluster, how are you doing this and why ?

I was a bit misleading, yes, just 3 DCs.

>> and some member
>> Fileservers. What is the best/savest/recomended upgrade path?
>>
>> Can I upgrade the AD servers one by one and run a „mixed“ setup for
>> some time (minutes) ?
>
> Hopefully you mean that you just have 3 DCs, if this is the case then
> it depends on how you are doing the updates. if you are updating using
> packages, then the packages should stop Samba before doing the
> update. If you are going to compile Samba yourself, you will need to
> use the configure options as originally and stop Samba before running
> 'make install'.
> Either way, I would start with the DC holding all the FSMO roles.
> Then the other two DCs, one by one.

I’d do the upgrade by rpm.

I did find something in the samba wiki as I had time to google, which says the other way round; starting with a server that dose NOT hols a FSMO.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba#Updating_Multiple_Samba_Domain_Controllers <https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba#Updating_Multiple_Samba_Domain_Controllers>

If you are updating multiple Samba Active Directory (AD) Domain Controllers (DC), the recommended order is:
Update one Samba AD DC that does not hold any flexible single master operations (FSMO) role.

So thats the way to go ?

And dose all DCs should be shut down at that time?

Regards . Götz