[Samba] Wide links and insecure wide links

Stilez stilezy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 20:36:14 UTC 2018

Thank you.

So, If I understand correctly, "ordinary" "wide links = yes", means Samba
*will* traverse an existing symlink that points outside the root of the
share, if permissions allow. However because it *also* disables SMB1 Unix
extensions, it *also* prevents the user from creating or modifying symlinks
on the share, so in wffect it inherently prevents this being exploited
unless an insecure symlink already exists or is created by some *other*
route. And thus, that enabling "insecure" wide links simply  removes that
safeguard.

If that's right, my clarification questions are

1) does this mean that configs containing "ordinary" wide link = yes might
become a risk, when SMB2 style functionality eventually lands, or will it
presumably be mitigated or remain unchanged from a security perspective at
that time, as far as is known?

2) when you say in your reply, that "ordinary" wide links enabled  "means
the server will follow symlinks **on the file system*" that point outside
the root of the share definition", do you in fact mean that it is also
barred from crossing a device boundary onto another device (similar to
"ls|rm|find -x", using stat to determine same file system), or something
else (in which case what?)

Thanks for the help!

Last thing - how can this helpful info added to smb.conf doc/man pages
where it might help others?

Stilez