[Samba] Migration Of Records From Old Samba Domain To New One

Matthew Delfino mdelfino.list.samba at KNOCKinc.com
Tue Feb 27 22:37:38 UTC 2018

Thank you for taking time to do this, Andrew. But, of course, it will be too late for me.

I’ve just returned from exile, where I went on a spirit quest of sorts. Except that, on this quest, I was obliged to keep my distance until I had found a way to export and import all users, groups and group membership from my old samba domain to my new one.
I updated schema to support Kerio Connect using ldbadd and ldbmodify.
I queried my old domain with ldbsearch.
I fed on berries and those fowl unfortunate enough to cross my path.
I found and replaced in BBEdit.
I consumed tea, earl grey, hot.
I sorted and rearranged fields in Excel.
I tended to my wounds with herbs.
I shell scripted and looped through lists of data using samba-tool.
Until finally I smote my enemy’s ruin upon the mountain side.
And today I return. Why? Because - without the help of drugs - I have a new domain on Samba 4.7.5 which parodies my old one on Samba 4.4.16.

I am Matthew the White.

And I come back to you now with this question: I imported schema from Kerio Connect (let me know if you want my notes & files for your wiki page on schema) and I need to put about six attributes worth of info into a whole bunch of user records. The samba-tool only lets me modify specific attributes - obviously none of the custom ones my schema adjustments added. I know I can manually edit records with something like this:

	ldbedit -e vim -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb 'sAMAccountName=matthew.delfino'

And get the fields all straightened away. Or, use ADUC on Windows with Attribute Editor, if I was paid by the hour. But, if I want to script this, what are my options? In this case, would something like this work:

	ldbmodify --url=/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb kerio-fields.ldif

Where kerio-fields.ldif would be an ldif file with all the kerio attributes values I want to change for each dn? Or, do you think there’s a better way?

Thanks,
Matthew