[Samba] how to build wmic

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 21 17:49:56 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-02-21 at 11:16 -0600, Stephen Koehler via samba wrote:
> I see that the Samba sources include the WMI client (wmic), but I have not
> succeeded in getting the configure/make to build it.  Does anyone know if
> this feature is supported in current (4.7.4) Samba, and, if so, how to
> build it?

The story of wmic is pretty sad, and no Samba doesn't contain it.

As I understand it:

wmic was silently forked from Samba4 many years ago, and then licenced
as GPLv2 only by a company that is no longer developing it.  While
forked we removed the supporting code because we saw now future in it,
and now we have no practical way back.

(This makes the OpenChange story seem positive in comparison).

Sorry,

Andrew Bartlett