[Samba] vfs_recycle. Behaviour on modifing a file.

Zendal Darkman zendal.darkman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 11:04:14 UTC 2018

We have a samba share that is not used very much and when it is the files
are not be modified very often.  The share will hold sensative information
and it is vital we can see what information the file contained for auditing
purposes.

I am not sure of the behaviour of the recycle bin when the contents of an
existing file are modified.  I am told that modifing a file actually
deletes the original and creates a new one (this may be over simplistic).
If this is the case, then I would expect the original file to appear in the
"recycle bin". Indeed this is what I would WANT.  I suspect that the actual
behaviour only  creates a recycled item with a "proper" delete from the
user.  Can anyone confirm ?