[Samba] Fwd: Migrating server

Rob Thoman emailthomasrob at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 09:11:23 UTC 2018

Hi Andrew,

I was able to domain join the server to the domain, had to add in
client ipc signing = auto
security = domain
Then it comes up with Joined "sam4Dc" to the domain. What does that step
actually do?

Coming back to your comments.

At a point in time both servers will be DCs. The plan is that after that
point  Samba3 box will cease to become a DC and act as a file server only.
So can we do the following?
- Stop the smbd/nmbd/winbind services in both servers, this cause the
shares to drop. Copy the .tdb/etc (passwd) and smb.conf file from 3 to 4
- Change smb.conf file in the 3 server and remove the bits about it being
the Domain Master,
- Not a lot to change smb.conf in 4
- Start the services in both the servers
- Hope as hell that we got it right :)
- Having Bind9 running on both servers won't be an issue?

Have  I got it correct?

RT