[Samba] Fwd: Migrating server

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 21 07:04:38 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-02-21 at 16:27 +1000, Rob Thoman wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> I can't shutdown the old samba box as it will still be hosting the shares.

I think you need to split that off sooner rather than later.  Your
first step needs to be to make it a domain member server.

> Can I do any of the following?
> Would it make sense for me to migrate the backend to LDAP ?

Probably, particularly if you can't split the server from being a DC in
the short term.

> Or following your first comment, can I setup rysnc every 5 minutes to replicate data.

You can't do that with TDB files, that would be very unsafe.

> You're right it is a migration path but I can't migrate until this works in the test environment

OK.  Either work in on a copy (taken when Samba is stopped on the
server) or use LDAP if you need it 'live'.

Andrew Bartlett