[Samba] Fwd: Migrating server

Rob Thoman emailthomasrob at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 05:06:02 UTC 2018

Hi Andrew,

I've setup a new Samba 4 box (sam4dc) on Ubuntu 14.04 with Samba 4.3.11. I
have the following

Just to clarify, sam3DC is the current DC with samba 3.6.3

smb.conf

[global]
   workgroup = STEST
   netbios name = Sam4DC
   password server = Sam3DC   (This is the current DC)
    security = user

resolv.conf
nameserver = 192.168.10.1 (IP of Sam3DC)

I can ping the sam3dc from the sam4dc box using fqdn.

When I try to join sam4dc into stest domain I get:
net rpc join -U dadmin
cannot join as standalone machine

If I add the server role = member server , I get the same error message.
If I add the security = domain , it asks me DO you really want to join an
Active Directory Domain. If I put the password in, I get smb_signing_good:
BAD SIG : seq 1

Do I copy the smb.conf file from sam3dc and change the bit about domain
master = no ? Or do I have join the machine to the domain as DC using
server role = DC in smb.conf?

Thank you

RT