[Samba] Difference between root as samba user and other non-root-users?

Matthias.Knigge at rohde-schwarz.com Matthias.Knigge at rohde-schwarz.com
Mon Feb 19 10:39:21 UTC 2018

Hello together,

I am working currently with an installation of CentOS 7.3 and Samba in the
version 4.4.4. I am setting up a share for Mac-Clients with the required
vfs-modules catia, fruit and streams_xattr. I also configured two changes
on the Mac side.

/etc/nsmb.conf

[default]

signing_required=no

/etc/sysctl.conf auf dem Mac:

net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

When I mounted the share with as normal samba user and execute the command
"time du" on a folder with 50000 files inside I got a time of around 4
seconds. When I do the same with the root as samba user I got the result
of 1,5 seconds. I created more and more files and repeated the command.
Root is always faster than a normal samba user. Why?

smb.conf

[global]
netbios name = test
workgroup = testgroup
security = USER
local master = no
dns proxy = no

socket options = TCP_NODELAY

strict allocate = yes
strict locking = no

dead time = 15
max xmit = 65535
min receivefile size = 16384
use sendfile = yes
aio read size = 16384
aio write size = 16384

[example]
comment = ShareBox
path = /media/share
read only = no
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
force create mode = 0777
force create directory mode = 0777
writeable = yes
valid users = root,jones
vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
fruit:resource = file
fruit:metadata = netatalk
fruit:locking = none
fruit:encoding = private
force unknown acl user = Yes

The performance of copy commands is ok. I tested this szenario also with
windows 7, 10 and another CentOS 7.3 installation. Root as samba user was
always faster to present me the result of "time du".

Any idea?

Many thanks in advance!

Matthias

Best Regards

Matthias Knigge
R&D File Based Media Solutions

Rohde & Schwarz
GmbH & Co. KG
Hanomaghof 1
30449 Hannover
Telefon +49 511 67 80 7 213
Fax +49 511 37 19 74
Internet: Matthias.Knigge at rohde-schwarz.com
Geschäftsführung / Executive Board: Christian Leicher (Vorsitzender /
Chairman), Peter Riedel, Sitz der Gesellschaft / Company's Place of
Business: München, Registereintrag / Commercial Register No.: HRA 16 270,
Persönlich haftender Gesellschafter / Personally Liable Partner: RUSEG
Verwaltungs-GmbH, Sitz der Gesellschaft / Company's Place of Business:
München, Registereintrag / Commercial Register No.: HRB 7 534,
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer (USt-IdNr.) / VAT Identification No.:
DE 130 256 683, Elektro-Altgeräte Register (EAR) / WEEE Register No.: DE
240 437 86