[Samba] Winbind idmap partially fails to load attributes with 4.6.7 (Ubuntu 17.10)

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Feb 18 22:09:00 UTC 2018

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 00:29:29 +0300
Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex.ru> wrote:

> Greetings, Rowland Penny!
>
> > Yes, don't post the output of 'testparm -v', just post the output of
> > 'testparm'. Also don't post a 'diff', post two separate smb.conf
> > files, better still post them into a post here.
>
> > I refuse to try and wade through all those parameters, when most of
> > them are DEFAULT settings.
>
> I wasn't expecting anything better from you.
> Honestly, I was not expecting a reply at all. But you just broke a
> new low.

You ask for help with a problem, but instead of posting useful info,
you post a link to what at first seems to be the result of 'testparm
-v' and expect someone to wade through this to try and identify what
is causing your problem. There is over 170 lines in the 4.6 smb.conf.

Well, you are lucky, I noticed something (or rather the lack of
something) as I was about to close the webpage that you posted the
link to. So I took the time to identify and remove the default lines
and ended up with this:

 # Version 4.6.7-Ubuntu
 [global]
	include system krb5 conf = No
 	kerberos method = secrets and keytab
	netbios name = DAEMON-VD3
 	prefork children:smb = 4 # As I understand it, this isn't in 4.6.x
 	security = ADS
 	server min protocol = SMB2

Over 170 lines reduced to 7 and you wonder why I asked you to post the
smb.conf on disk.

If that is your smb.conf then where is 'workgroup = ???????' and where
is 'realm = ??????.??????' and where are the 'idmap config' lines.

If it isn't your smb.conf, then what you posted is doubly useless.

Rowland