[Samba] samba-tool dbcheck on 4.7.5, after bug 13228

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 18:13:59 UTC 2018

On 16 February 2018 at 17:56, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2018-02-16 at 11:44 +0000, Jonathan Hunter via samba wrote:
> [...]
> > I'm therefore not sure if the "samba-tool dbcheck --help" wording for
> > "--yes" should be updated.
> > Currently the help text for --yes is:
> >   "don't confirm changes, just do them all as a single transaction".
> >
> > Should it say something like:
> >   "don't confirm changes individually, do them all as a single
> transaction,
> > this has different behaviour to answering yes each time, and may fail in
> > case of some errors"
> > ?
>
> It is more like "don't confirm changes, require all changes to apply
> successfully (use a single transaction)".
>
> Ideally all errors have a fix and the fix applies successfully but in
> the real world it seems this isn't the case.

Thank you.

Is there any benefit to me submitting a patch for updated wording?

Very happy to do so, if that would help. Presumably following the process
here and creating a patch to email to samba-technical:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Contribute
Or via github ?

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it?"
      - Albert Einstein