[Samba] Is it possible to lower the domain and forest functional level

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Feb 15 19:50:48 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-02-14 at 11:14 +0100, Christophe Borivant wrote:
> I don't know exactly, but there were problems with indexes ( as the user said ).
> We did not try with the current release and our manager wants to go back to Microsoft :-(
> Our samba version is 4.7.5.

OK, that is the current release.  The last changes targeted at
sharepoint where a couple of years ago.

> I've been able to go one step further. We first were not able to join a Windows 2008 R2 as a domain controller because it was asking for adprep.
> I found the missing datas in the ldap and added them. But know dcpromo fails replicating the configuration partition.
> The most relevant error I can find in the dcpromo.log is :

While it won't currently help you upgrade to forest level 2008R2 I will
note for others that Samba 4.8 will ship with a tool to upgrade us to
2012R2 in the same way that adprep does.

For earlier versions, this is what our upgradeprovision script was
designed for.  We don't really recommend it any more as it is quite
drastic in its operation and while tested it doesn't have the level of
tests i would like given the almost AI-like operation, but you may find
some success compared with rebuilding the domain (which ends up beingalmost the same thing).

Andrew Bartlett