[Samba] WERR_DS_DRA_MISSING_PARENT error when joining new DC

DreamySurfer212 dreamysurfer212 at fastmail.com
Wed Feb 14 15:55:57 UTC 2018

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018, at 06:01, Denis Cardon wrote:
> Hi DreamySurfer212,
> >
> > When trying to join a new DC to an existing Samba4 domain, I am
> > getting this WERR_DS_DRA_MISSING_PARENT error. Does any have any
> > suggestions on how to fix it? My original 6 dc's are running the last
> > free Sernet (4.2.14)  on CentOS6 and the error occurs if I use Sernet
> > 4.2.14 or 4.7.5-Debian. I finally have time to upgrade and something
> > is broke.
>
> Samba 4.2.14 is EOL for quite some time... If you cannot afford the good
> work done by SerNet, then you need to use other packages.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Yes, I am quite aware. I inherited this mess and am trying to get it upgraded to the latest 4.7.x on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

> > Thanks, Steve
> >
> > # samba-tool domain join mydomain DC -U"mydomain\administrator"
> > --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ
> >
> > Missing parent while attempting to apply records: No parent with GUID
> > eb58e643-61d5-4e8c-8249-99d275b2779b found for object remotely known
> > as CN=Enterprise Read-only Domain Controllers,OU=Security
> > Groups,DC=mydomain,DC=com
> >
> > # ldbsearch -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb --cross-ncs
> > objectGUID=eb58e643-61d5-4e8c-8249-99d275b2779b dn: OU=Security
> > Groups,DC=mydomain,DC=com
>
> Have you switched all your domain DCs to 4.7, or is this error still
> shown from a 4.2 server?

The error is from Ubuntu  4.7.5 (thanks Louis for the instructions) trying to join 4.2. Do I need to step through 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, and 4.6 first?

> is there any reasons for moving "Enterprise Read-only Domain
> Controllers" group from CN=Users? Do you have tried to join RODC in your
> 4.2 domain??

That was where it was when I inherited this. I will try moving it to CN=Users. I was hoping this could replace the 4.2 PDC so I did not want to try read-only.

Thanks,
Steve