[Samba] Which DNS to use for DHCP hostname/IP updates from non-AD & AD nodes?

Ken McDonald ken at generation.tech
Wed Feb 14 12:54:59 UTC 2018

I suspected something odd and possibly too invasive was being done by
the BIND9_DLZ module, especially because of the need to relax AppArmor
on Ubuntu. Resolving that security problem really should be a
development priority, but I also realize it's a resource and time issue.
I suppose because it is not a direct security vulnerability and would
require Bind9 to be compromised there is faith it won't happen in most
cases.

Regarding the DHCP/DNS and rogue clients, I suppose I hadn't factored
that it even though I've been using a similar configuration for years. I
was using it so there was automatic availability on the network of
simple devices by hostname, like Cisco switches and random VM's spun up
for testing. As bad as the implementation is, the MS world has that nice
NETBIOS broadcast thingy that I believe generally let's you find
non-AD-joined Windows clients on the same subnet. I was looking for the
same functionality from non-Windows network nodes.

Guess I'll look into either another layer of security that accomplishes
the goal without allowing rogue malicious DHCP/DNS attacks, or just
register the host names manually. There may be an existing feature or
script available on a Linux node to securely update DNS after DHCP.
Maybe the same is possible for Cisco, etc.

Thanks for you insight.