[Samba] samba 4.6.12. users can't delete files

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 14 09:33:14 UTC 2018

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 00:24:00 +0000
Carlos Jesus via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm running a small (50 users) AD with an AD-DC and a Domain Member
> as the file server. Both running debian Stretch and self-compiled
> samba 4.6.12. Bind as DNS.
> Multiple shares configured using windows ACLs. All work as expected
> except for User Home Folders
> (https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders). I've created a
> folder for each user under samba_homes/ and gave full control to each
> user to his "folder, sub folder and files". Users can create and
> delete subfolders, can create files, open and write to files, but
> cannot delete or rename files. If I check properties on files, I can
> see that both "full control" and "modify" are off. Even if I force
> them by going to the file properties, I can't get the modify flag to
> stick. Any ideas? I'm running out of them...
> Thanks
>
> my smb.conf:
> [global]
>
> vfs objects = acl_xattr
>
> [Casa]
>         comment = personal folders
>         path = /mnt/disco2/samba_homes
>         read only = no
>         vfs objects = full_audit

Two thing here, what are you mounting the shares from ?, this may have a
bearing, but I think your main problems is that you may have turned off
'acl_xattr' on the shares. Try changing the 'vfs objects' line in
[global] to 'vfs objects = acl_xattr full_audit' and remove the 'vfs
objects' lines from the shares.

Rowland