[Samba] Which DNS to use for DHCP hostname/IP updates from non-AD & AD nodes?

Ken McDonald ken at generation.tech
Tue Feb 13 23:55:36 UTC 2018

With Linux DHCP + Bind it was possible to have the DHCP server
dynamically update Bind as new clients appeared. I don't need the
clients themselves updating DNS records directly. For those few nodes
using static IP addresses and not on the AD domain, I'm fine with having
to manually enter their A/PTR records into the DNS database. IIRC normal
MS Windows AD DC allows for nodes that are joined to the AD domain and
have static IP addresses to register with DNS automagically because they
are trusted.

Really I just need the DHCP to give out IP and some how have those nodes
resolve by name through DNS. How that happens is totally flexible. I
need to support nodes on the AD domain and those that are standalone.