[Samba] domain users issue

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 12 16:55:04 UTC 2018

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 17:28:23 +0100
Trenta sis via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Using a samba 4, and having users configured as primary group domain
> users (513) we detected that then if you execute net group /domain
> "Domain Users" then user is not showed in as member of domain users,
> if you remove from primary group and assign another group then with
> net group /domain "Domain Users" you can list this user as member.
>
> This generates that for example permissions to ahres assigned to
> doamin users are not working
>
> Anybody can give some information where is the issue, reproduced with
> samba 4.4.5 and 4.4.16
>
> thanks

To be honest, I have never tried to run this command on windows, but
your problem is probably because membership of Domain Users is a bit
special. All users are, by default, members of Domain Users, but the
groups object does not show any members and the users do not have a
'memberOf' attribute pointing to Domain Users.

Or another way of saying the above, you have nothing to worry about,
unless you have done something silly like changing the users
'primaryGroupID' attribute.

Rowland