[Samba] Again guest access and machine account...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Fri Feb 9 10:07:29 UTC 2018

Mandi! Andrew Bartlett via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

> Computers are people too! ;-)

...for me, servers have the names of the characters from 'Neuromancer'
novel, clients characters from 'Harry Potter'. ;-)

Anyway, there's still one or two thing that i don't understand.

If i set 'guest ok = yes' for a share, clients does not try a guest
access after a (failed) access?
Be forced to set 'map to guest = Bad Uid' lead to think me that
effectivaly NO, because user exist but does not have a UID map (so the
error is different (Bad UID, indeed).

So, the question:

a) having machine account doing guest access (setting 'map to guest = Bad
 Uid') instead of normal auth, could lead to troubles?
Considering that client have access to domain controller (here we are
speaking about domain members, indeed), make me think NO.

b) there's some way to set 'map to guest' both to 'Bad Uid' OR 'Bad
 User' (eg, so guest access happen both if user does not exist or have
not a UID mapping)?

Thanks.