[Samba] Different ways/commands to join an AD domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Feb 9 09:11:10 UTC 2018

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 08:17:32 +0000
Tom Stocker via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi List
>
> I'm a bit puzzled about the different ways to join a W2012R2 D
> domain, as there are multiple ways of doing that, and I'm not sure
> which is the right or best one.
>
> Background: we have different OS (Centos 5/6, Debian 8/9) which are
> or will be integraded into the AD.
>
> using "realm join ubxad.u-blox.net" (Debian 8/9)
>
> i could join the domain but got
>
> [2018/02/08 17:23:01.852721,
> 3] ../source3/lib/access.c:338(allow_access) Allowed connection from
> 10.64.253.39 (10.64.253.39) [2018/02/08 17:23:16.487274,
> 3] ../source3/lib/util_procid.c:54(pid_to_procid) pid_to_procid:
> messaging_dgm_get_unique failed: No such file or directory
>
> resulting in: only accessible from the joined domain, not from our
> legacy samba3 domain.
>
> After using "net ads join -U administrator" things started to work
> right. (centos 7, Debian 8/9)
>
> And there is also "adcli join" (centos 6)
>
> Could you tell we when to use what program please? Also in terms of
> when to use sssd or winbind instead?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Tom

The Samba supported way of joining a Linux client to a domain is 'net
ads join'.
The others are red-hat ways of joining a domain and are not supported
by Samba.

Samba supports the use of 'winbind' because it is a Samba product, sssd
is another red-hat product and is not supported by Samba.

If you want help with Samba, this is the place to ask, for others see
the relevant mailing list, the 'sssd-mailing' list for instance.

Rowland