[Samba] I can not use a domain group in the DC filesystem

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Thu Feb 8 10:04:52 UTC 2018

Hi Denis,

> I have just installed a samba 4.7.4 from source. All right!
>
> wbinfo -u  and wbinfo -g return the list of users and groups from the
> domain
>
> But I can not use they in the DC filesystem.
>
> For instance:
>
> # touch ttt
>
> # chgrp 'domain admins' ttt
> chgrp: invalid group: ‘domain admins’

First, you need to configure nsswitch to have samba users available to
the linux subsystem (/etc/nsswitch.conf).

Second, winbind idmap on DC is not done the same way as on member
server. Unless you are seeking pain and tears, I would advise you to
separate the domain controller and the fileserver.

Cheers,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon