[Samba] Best practice with samba-tool dbcheck --fix

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Wed Feb 7 17:45:50 UTC 2018

Hi lingpanda101,

>     I'm never certain if it's best to stop samba when running a fix or
> check on the DB. Is there a rule of thumb for this? In a multi DC
> environment is it best to run on one DC and have it replicate the fixes?
> I never find this to be the case BTW or I may not be waiting long
> enough. Thanks.

you can run your dbcheck on a running database, I never had any issues
with that (just backup a coherent snapshot before).

Even if DCs are sync'ing each other, there are some stuff that is not
sync'ed and is local to the DC. So there are stull that dbcheck will
clean up and the clean up will be replicated, and on the other side some
stuff that will be local to the DC (eg. repsfrom repsto attributes on
each partitions root entry).

So yes, it is better to run your dbcheck on all the DCs to be sure
everything is clean.

Denis

--
Denis Cardon