[Samba] Samba Migration and AD integration

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Wed Feb 7 13:12:56 UTC 2018

Hi Praveen,

> The realm infact has no dots, is this going be an issue? It is different to workgroup. The details did get "Lost in Redaction"

About single labeled domain (SLD) name, from Microsoft documentation[1]
: "SLDs are not a recommended configuration for future deployments and
may not work with some products or versions"

Actually I thought it was not possible to make a samba classic upgrade
with a SLD... Perhaps upgrade scripts doesn't block it.

Anyway, if you are still testing your upgrade, you should do again the
classic upgrade using a realm containing a dot. If you are already gone
in production with that problematic SLD and all desktops have switched
to AD domain attachment, then you are mostly screwed. It can be salvaged
  by recreating a new domain with a proper name and same SID, piping in
all the accounts and groups with their respective SID and ntlm hash, and
then rejoin all the computers to the domain.

Cheers,

Denis

[1]
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2269810/microsoft-support-for-single-label-domains