[Samba] Samba Migration and AD integration

Praveen Ghimire PGhimire at sundata.com.au
Wed Feb 7 11:51:35 UTC 2018

Hi Rowland,

The computer indeed is in the same IP range. The /etc/resolv.conf points to it's IP and not the loopback

Had to use the --use-samba-tool as it errored out

29 DNS updates and 0 DNS deletes needed
Successfully obtained Kerberos ticket to DNS/server1.realmname as SERVER1$

ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (9711, 'WERR_DNS_ERROR_RECORD_ALREADY_EXISTS')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line 176, in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/dns.py", line 1098, in run
    raise e
Failed 'samba-tool dns' based update: A server1.realmname 172.16.24.1 : local variable 'estr' referenced before assignment
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/samba_dnsupdate", line 834, in <module>
    call_samba_tool(d, zone=d.zone)
  File "/usr/sbin/samba_dnsupdate", line 563, in call_samba_tool
    print("Failed 'samba-tool dns' based update: %s : %s" % (str(d), estr))
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'estr' referenced before assignment

After that I did the combination of the following which allowed me to add the machine to the domain
- disabled ufw
- flushed and re-registered dns on the machine, rebooted the machine
- added search realmname in the /etc/resolv.conf

The next issue is that the machine I added to the domain is a Server2008R2. When I tried to DCPROMO it , the DNS server option was greyed out with
DNS cannot be installed on this domain controller because this domain does not host DNS.

Regards,

Praveen Ghimire