[Samba] Samba Migration and AD integration

Praveen Ghimire PGhimire at sundata.com.au
Wed Feb 7 10:02:10 UTC 2018

Hi Rowland,

Following the  https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Changing_the_DNS_Back_End_of_a_Samba_AD_DC, ran some tests migrating from Bind9 to Samba Internal with the following results

Stopped the BIND, Samba-AD-DC services

samba_upgradedns --dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL
Reading domain information
DNS accounts already exist
Reading records from zone file /var/lib/samba/private/dns/<REALMNAME>.zone
DNS partitions already exist
Finished upgrading DNS
You have switched to using SAMBA_INTERNAL as your dns backend, but you still have samba starting looking for a BIND backend. Please remove the -dns from your server services line.

Started the Samba-AD-DC service and left the Bind9 stopped.

The .zone file had the all the SOA records for the REALM. The issue (after the change from Bind9 to Samba and also from Samba Internal to Bind9) we get the following when trying to add a machine to the domain.

The error was: "This operation returned because the timeout period expired."
(error code 0x000005B4 ERROR_TIMEOUT)
The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.<realmname>
The DNS servers used by this computer for name resolution are not responding. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:
172.16.24.1
Verify that this computer is connected to the network, that these are the correct DNS server IP addresses, and that at least one of the DNS servers is running.

The SRV records are missing by the looks of it.

service --status-all
[ - ]  acpid
[ + ]  apparmor
[ + ]  apport
[ + ]  atd
[ - ]  bind9
[ - ]  console-setup.sh
[ + ]  cron
[ - ]  cryptdisks
[ - ]  cryptdisks-early
[ + ]  dbus
[ + ]  ebtables
[ + ]  grub-common
[ - ]  hwclock.sh
[ - ]  irqbalance
[ + ]  isc-dhcp-server
[ + ]  iscsid
[ - ]  keyboard-setup.sh
[ + ]  kmod
[ - ]  lvm2
[ + ]  lvm2-lvmetad
[ + ]  lvm2-lvmpolld
[ + ]  lxcfs
[ - ]  lxd
[ - ]  mdadm
[ - ]  mdadm-waitidle
[ - ]  nmbd
[ - ]  open-iscsi
[ + ]  open-vm-tools
[ - ]  plymouth
[ - ]  plymouth-log
[ + ]  procps
[ - ]  rsync
[ + ]  rsyslog
[ + ]  samba-ad-dc
[ - ]  screen-cleanup
[ - ]  smbd
[ + ]  ssh
[ + ]  udev
[ + ]  ufw
[ + ]  unattended-upgrades
[ - ]  uuidd
[ - ]  winbind

Also, does the Realm name needs to be something like abcd.local instead of abcdef?

Regards,

Praveen Ghimire