[Samba] GPOs not Working!

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Tue Feb 6 19:03:16 UTC 2018

On 02/06/2018 02:52 PM, lingpanda101 via samba wrote:
> On 2/6/2018 1:42 PM, Robert Marcano via samba wrote:
>> On 02/06/2018 01:44 PM, Micha Ballmann via samba wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> i have a testing environment, 2 DCs Ubuntu 18.04, SAMBA 4.7.4 - MIT
>>> Kerberos (clean, not upgraded). I just wan to create/activating a
>>> simple GPOs.
>>>
>>> # Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL + ALT + DEL -> activate
>>>
>>> # Interactive login: Do not displa last user name -> activate
>>

>> These look like machine level GPO. See the output of
>>
>>   gpresult /v
>>
>> Mine say that machine based GPOs are not applied because of "Denied
>> (Security)" and the GPO is the default one (This is a test domain)
>> where the filter is for "Authenticated Users" and that include machine
>> accounts.
>>
>> Running Samba Version 4.7.4.
>>
>> More details of the same problem (not solved) at this mailing list
>> post https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2018-January/213333.html
>>

>>> When im activating this Policys (no errors or something like that)
>>> nothing happend.
>>>
>>> I reboot two Domain Members (Windows 7). Still showing last username
>>> and CTRL + ALT + DEL. Also typed "gpudate /force", didn't help. Also
>>> rejoined the clients.
>>>
>>> I configured the SYSVOL replication with this guide:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Rsync_based_SysVol_replication_workaround
>>>

>>> Tell me what information you need if isn't enough.
>>>
>>> I hope you can help!
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Micha
>>>

> I don't recommend modifying the default domain or default domain
> controllers policy. Create separate ones and apply to either site or OU.

Thanks for the information, to use a default GPO was a simple way to try
to encourage someone to reproduce the problem.

I already created new GPOs (this is a test domain) Using the default
filter for a new GPO, "Authenticated users", creating a new group for
the test clients and using that as the filter, checking it have the
right permissions (apply), checking every guide about applying GPO to
computers. Using OUs and using domain level GPOs.

What I find weird is that gpresult doesn't list the computer as a member
of groups I create, only a few predefined ones:

   NULL SID
   NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK,
   This company,
   and something like "mandatory level of no trust" (Windows is not in
english)