[Samba] Samba Migration and AD integration

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Feb 6 11:42:42 UTC 2018

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 11:01:52 +0000
Praveen Ghimire <PGhimire at sundata.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> Thank you.
>
> Yes to the first point.
>
> We are using Bind9 but to continue using it is not necessarily set in
> stone.

If you are going to have more than one AD DC, then using Bind9 makes
sense.

> If using Samba Internal DNS makes more sense then we can do
> that too.

It is not really a case of 'more sense', it is just a different way of
doing things.

> The question is do we need to do dns-upgrade and use
> Internal DNS, pre-migration?  Then use internal dns during the
> classic migration?

If you ran the classicupgrade with '--dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ' then Samba
should have been set up to allow Bind9 to use the DNS info stored in
AD.
You will also need to remove any zones from the named.conf files that
are also in AD.
You will find info on to set up Bind9 for Samba AD here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_BIND_DNS_Server

> Also, I assume the bind9 service will have to
> stopped if infact we use the Internal DNS?

If you do decide to use the Samba internal DNS server, then yes, you
will need to stop Bind9. You will also need to remove the 'server
services' line from smb.conf on the DC and add a 'dns forwarder' line.

> The DHCP is to stay with Samba server for now.

Then you probably need to follow this:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9

But you will need to get Bind9 working correctly first.

Rowland