[Samba] Samba Migration and AD integration

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Feb 6 10:36:46 UTC 2018

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 03:05:18 +0000
Praveen Ghimire via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We migrated from Samba 3 to 4 (4.6.7-Ubuntu) and added promoted a
> Server 2008R2 as a Domain Controller. We've come across the following
> issues and request some suggestions to resolve them
>

> -          The migration didn't generate DNS entries for the new
> realm. We had to manually create a new zone file (/var/cache/bind)
> for the new realm. Only then we were able to promote the Server2008
> R2 as the DC. Is this an expected outcome post migration?
>
> -          Similarly, the dhcpd.conf file exhibited the same outcome
> as above.
>
> -          When we added a new machine to the domain, it didn't
> update the DNS record in the Samba box.  The machine joins to the
> domain but there is no DNS record for it.
>
> -          We added the DNS role in the Server2008 R2 DC, what we
> found that any record created in Bind9 gets replicated to the Windows
> server but no vice-versa.
>
> The AD user bit seems to sync ok between the servers.

Lets see if I understand correctly what you have done:

You had a Samba NT4-style domain and you have classic upgraded this to a Samba AD domain

You were running Bind9 on the NT4-style PDC and you want to continue running it.

You were also running a DHCP server on the NT4-style PDC and you want to continue running it.

Is all this correct, if not please describe your setup better.

Rowland