[Samba] Samba 4.6.2 does not inherit setgid bit (anymore)

Vincent maillist at iveze.nl
Mon Feb 5 16:47:10 UTC 2018

Hi Lorenzo and Dale,

My setup is like Lorenzo's completely based on setgid being propagated.
The filesystem should determine the group used starting at a certain
directory. Different "root" directories have different groups, and
security is based on groups, not users.

I tried all sorts of settings combinations, alseo "force directory mode
= 2770", but none propagates setgid.

The odd thing is that it has worked fine for years on versions below
4.2.10. Only after udating to 4.6.2 it completely stopped working. I
wonder if it is a new feature to neglect setgid completely, or that it
is a bug and that i may expect it working again in future versions.

Kind regards, Vincent