[Samba] after a couple of year of success is not possible to add workstations to domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 5 15:41:05 UTC 2018

On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 16:01:27 +0100
"Massimo Donato - Adcom.it via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> */Hi all,
>     after a couple of year of successfully working samba AD DC is
> not possible to add workstations to domain
> since a few day ago in windows i get a messagge complaining that the
> account previously exists. ant that to try access with a different
> account. after some investigation i found that the backupDC  was in
> hardware fault. the primary seems to work great, but still unable to
> add workstation to domain.
> seems like something is missing,
> samba version is 4.7.4(upgraded during investigation)
>
> any advice ? where to look ?

One of the problems here is that you are thinking in terms of 'primary'
and 'backup' DCs. You haven't got a 'primary' DC or a 'backup' DC, you
just have two DCs and they should both contain exactly the same data in
AD. Problem is, when your second DC became faulty, it may have
corrupted AD on the DC and then replicated this corruption to the
first DC.

I would turn off the faulty DC (if it is still running), demote the
dead DC and then run 'samba-tool dbcheck'

But, before I tried to do anything, I would ensure that the first DC
was fully backed up.

Rowland