[Samba] Using Samba AD for NFSV4 Kerberos servers and clients

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Feb 5 11:00:22 UTC 2018

Hai,

NfsV4 and samba works fine but there is a big BUT and you have found it already.
> The nfs4 krb5 export mounts on the remote client, but doesn't seem to
> recognize permissions. The mount directory is shown as owned by root and the group is 4294967294

Yes, the nfsv4 acls and system acl over kerberos doent match anymore.
This is a know problem and i dont know when it wil be fixed.

I use atm this for for the NFS Server.

# Test all sec variable.
/exports         192.168.0.0/24(rw,sync,fsid=0,no_subtree_check,crossmnt,sec=sys:krb5:krb5i:krb5p)
/exports/users   192.168.0.0/24(rw,sync,no_subtree_check,sec=sys:krb5:krb5i:krb5p)

This gives the option to test all sec= settings.
Now if you use sys, ( not kerberos ) all right work ok and you should have a 100% match.

I've tried with one of the latest libnfsidmap files and builded it for debian stretch.
http://apt.van-belle.nl/current-packages-in-stretch-experimental-apt.txt
>  stretch-experimental|main|amd64: libnfsidmap2 0.27-0.1~deb9

Since changlogs indicate that it should be fixed with 0.27 but its not,
well at least i did not get the correct acls also with kerberos mounts.
Irritation is, it did work for some time in Debian Jessie about 6-12 months ago, then it stopped there also.

See also my message to debian:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2017/11/msg00079.html

Now about the keytab nfs generation. ( use sys for now that works fine.)
>From : https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Generating_Keytabs

samba-tool spn add host/hostname.dom.tld "NETBIOSNAME\$"
samba-tool spn add host/hostname.dom.tld at REALM "NETBIOSNAME\$"  < i dont use this one, imo only when you use muliple REALMS.
samba-tool domain exportkeytab --principal=nfs/hostname.dom.tld ~/nfs-hostname.keytab
Copy ~/nfs-hostname.keytab to the correct server.

ktutil
rkt /etc/krb5.keytab
rkt ~/nfs-hostname.keytab
list   ... Aka check it.
wkt /etc/krb5.keytab.NEW

stop samba/winbind
cp /etc/krb5.keytab{,.backup}
cp /etc/krb5.keytab.NEW /etc/krb5.keytab
Start samba/winbind

Give it a try

Greetz,

Louis