[Samba] Using Samba AD for NFSV4 Kerberos servers and clients

Ken McDonald ken at generation.tech
Mon Feb 5 01:23:48 UTC 2018

Thanks Luc,

First, can I just use the small /etc/krb5.conf suggested in Samba AD
docs or do I need something more substantial on the server & client for
Kerberos NFS to work?

[libdefaults]
         default_realm = SUBDOMAIN.DOMAIN.COM
         dns_lookup_realm = false
         dns_lookup_kdc = true

I understand a /etc/krb5.keytab file has to be created on both server &
client. Most of the existing docs show commands to do this using a real
KDC, not Samba AD. If I try to use the kadmin tool, there's a message
about the krb5.conf being incomplete. I am able to use klist and ktutil

How do I generate the keytab file with the correct credentials?

nfs/server at subdomain.domain.com

nfs/client at subdomain.domain.com

Are these created manually by adding some account in ADUC and then use
"samba-tool domain exportkeytab" to export the krb5.keytab file

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Generating_Keytabs

-Ken