[Samba] Samba 4.6.2 does not inherit setgid bit (anymore)

Lorenzo Delana lorenzo.delana at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 17:04:05 UTC 2018

thanks for suggestion, in other words you use only ACLs for users
denying all for groups, unfortunately we had many group such as domain
users, secretary, finance, etc belonging to users for which we need to
apply at least 770 in order to gain a simplified permission management
using groups

the actual dirty workaround I applied was to track new files/dir by
tailing with follow ( tail -f ) a smbd_audit.log filtered through
rsyslog for messages generated by samba full_audit configured to listen
"create_file" event; the problem here is that sometime samba full_audit
report the event of a file or folder created by the element isn't on the
disk yet so as security checkpoint I ended to apply a chgrp -R root
nightly on a daily basis.

all of these problems could easily resolved if there was existed an
option such as an hypothetical "force item group" that allow me to force
the group for created item ( note that the current one "force group"
option not work for me because it apply as an impersonation of a group
for the authenticated user generating more security problems ).

Lorenzo Delana |