[Samba] Upgrading a ctdb cluster: samba not listening on TCP port 445

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Thu Feb 1 11:04:45 UTC 2018

Hi Nicolas,

On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 10:57:59 +0100, Nicolas Zuber via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I try to update two clustered samba file servers. Right now samba 4.7.0
> with ctdb is running on both of them. To update samba I stopped ctdb on
> one of the servers, and compiled and installed samba 4.7.1 with:
>
> ./configure --with-cluster-support --with-shared-modules=idmap_tdb2,idmap_ad,vfs_glusterfs --with-systemd
>
> Trying to start ctdb on the updated server fails with "
> ctdb-eventd[19790]: 50.samba: samba not listening on TCP port 445" in
> the ctdb.log. Trying to update directly to 4.7.3 or 4.7.4 shows the same
> error message.
>
> Removing the "clustered = yes" from the smb.conf file and starting smbd
> by hand works fine and the smbd process listens on port 445. Downgrading
> again to 4.7.0 worked without any problems and ctdb and smbd are running
> again without any problems, but this is only a temporary solution.
>
> Any help in how to debug this problem will be appreciated.

The error about samba not listening is coming from CTDB's "monitor"
event.  Before this, CTDB's "startup" event would have attempted to
start smbd.  Can you find any evidence in log.smbd (or similar) about
smbd failing somewhere?

If there are no messages from smbd then I wonder if systemd might be
getting in the way and not even trying to start smbd?  Does journalctl
(with whatever the standard options are) tell you anything useful?

Thanks...

peace & happiness,
martin