[Samba] Authenticating Samba Share Using Windows Credentials

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 28 08:55:29 UTC 2018

On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 22:24:53 +0000
"Singh, Hartej via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I have Samba 4.8.3 server running on RHEL 7.6 and I have configured
> smb.conf with smbpasswd as the backend passdb.

Do not use the 'smbpasswd' passdb, it is deprecated, use the default
'tdbsam' instead.

> I have included my smb.conf below this message. From Windows 10, I
> can map to the //server/homes by entering the credentials for the
> Samba users (stored in smbpasswd), but since I am using the "username
> map = /etc/samba/smbusers" Global directive in my smb.conf, I am
> expecting to be authenticated for the //server/homes mapping using my
> Windows credentials instead. That is not working for me.

What is in '/etc/samba/smbusers' ?
You do not really need it on a standalone server, you just need to
create your Windows users on the standalone servers as Unix & Samba
users.

> Also, the Windows credentials authentication works on RHEL 6.9 with
> Samba 3.X.

Samba 3.x.x is EOL, you should not be using these versions.

Rowland