[Samba] After upgrade to 4.9.4, internal DNS no longer working

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Dec 27 15:10:43 UTC 2018

Hai Viktor,

Yes, i did keep that in mind that it was an upgrade, that exact why im responding. ;-)

If in the base  /etc/hostname, /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf or systemd  cointains wrong settings, you might inherit these.
So it might be that a previous samba was accepting these settings, but a latest samba not.
Or a previous systemd version accepted these and a newer not..

Setting : DNSStubListener=No in /etc/systemd/resolved.conf.
is correct also, yes, its what you preffer, i mask the needed services.

>hostname is DC1, confirmed by hostnamectl, resolv.conf has just two entries: nameserver (own IP), and search samdom.example.com. Same as it is now, so this all works.
Just that because it works, that does not tell you if its correct.

I dont expect that this problem is a samba problem, because we would have seen moch more messages.
i still say, the upgrade problem is due your setup.  ( sorry )

Now, if you going to upgrade, i suggest review you setup closely.
And keep Rowland and my advice in mind.

Greetz,

Louis