[Samba] After upgrade to 4.9.4, internal DNS no longer working

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Dec 26 13:24:34 UTC 2018

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 11:43:37 +0100
Viktor Trojanovic <viktor at troja.ch> wrote:

> I could really use some support with this. I understand it's always
> possible to just restore from a backup but the more interesting
> question is if something can be done with the data at hand.
> Basically, I'm trying to understand how it's possible that a dbcheck
> shows no errors, an ldbsearch is successful, and yet it's not
> possible to start the AD properly. What else is there that could be
> corrupted, and is there a way to repair it?

OK, I have been reviewing all the posts in this thread and I have a few
questions ;-)

You posted that you are running the DC using the internal DNS server,
but you also posted this:

All checks on the flat files work fine

What 'flat files' ?
Are you referring to Bind9 flat files ?

There is also this:

kdc_task_init: Cannot determine if we are an RODC: operations error at ../source4/dsdb/common/util.c:3534
task_server_terminate: task_server_terminate: [kdc: krb5_init_context samdb RODC connect failed]

Why is 'RODC' getting mentioned ?

Can you post the contents of:

/etc/hostname
/etc/nsswitch.conf

Could the separate Samba daemons (smbd, nmbd, winbind) be being started
instead of/as well as the 'samba' daemon ?

Rowland