[Samba] Using MS-DOS client

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 15:01:14 UTC 2018

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

>> I finally solved the problem.  After removing everything samba
>> related from the platform, I spent an hour or two unsuccessfully
>> trying to build an older version from source.  When that threatened
>> to lead me into dependency hell, I gave up and reinstalled the
>> original samba.  After restart, it began to cooperate using my
>> original configuration!
>>
>> Nothing like this sort of thing to make one doubt one's own sanity.
>> Upon digging a bit deeper, I _suspect_ the sudden cooperation is due
>> to my not reinstalling everything (e.g. winbind) that was there from
>> the original Ubuntu roster.  I'm not about to verify this theory by
>> trying to break anything again and am just thankful to have
>> functionality back.

> No, you didn't forget to install winbind, installing samba used to
> install it for you, but now it doesn't and your PDC needs winbind, I
> should have asked about that :-(

I'm not quite parsing that statement.  Are you saying that winbind was (a)
likely the cause of the problem or (b) somehow I really should have
winbind now?

To the best of my (admittedly limited) knowledge, 'security = user' does
not need nor involve a PDC.  Is that correct?

I can only observe that all my Windows clients (10, 7, XP, Win98) and
MS-DOS clients are now working as expected.