[Samba] Using MS-DOS client

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 14:34:00 UTC 2018

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 15:37:45 -0800
> Luke Barone via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>> Try adding "server max protocol = nt1" in the [global] section?
> This should probably have been 'client max protocol = CORE'
> If this works, then read in 'man smb.conf' about 'client max protocol'
> and raise the level until it stops working, then use the last level
> that works.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I had already tried that as well, but with no 
success.  Even after many re-reads I admit to a complete lack of 
understanding as to what 'server max/min ..' and 'client max/min ..' are 
actually doing.  If I squint with one eye, it looks like client impacts 
the operation of smbclient on the local machine, but your statement 
implies something quite different.  As I said, no combination of these 
settings helped.

> I would also suggest you find a away of moving from DOS, at some point
> it is highly likely that the old auth methods will be removed.

That will be the point when I stop updating my server.  I understand the 
march of progress, but it is not practical for me to get caught up in it 
at the expense of losing network connectivity from my shop computers.


I finally solved the problem.  After removing everything samba related 
from the platform, I spent an hour or two unsuccessfully trying to build 
an older version from source.  When that threatened to lead me into 
dependency hell, I gave up and reinstalled the original samba.  After 
restart, it began to cooperate using my original configuration!

Nothing like this sort of thing to make one doubt one's own sanity.  Upon 
digging a bit deeper, I _suspect_ the sudden cooperation is due to my not 
reinstalling everything (e.g. winbind) that was there from the original 
Ubuntu roster.  I'm not about to verify this theory by trying to break 
anything again and am just thankful to have functionality back.

Thanks to those who chimed in and tried to help!


More information about the samba mailing list