[Samba] After upgrade to 4.9.4, internal DNS no longer working

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Sat Dec 22 22:01:27 UTC 2018

Then I don't know what caused it. I had no problems prior to the upgrade,
and the upgrade was done without errors..

Unfortunately, no, I don't have backups. 'sam.ldb' is still there, though,
and so are the databases unter 'sam.ldb.d'.

Yes, I tried restarting Samba, even rebooted the server but to no avail.
Here are the results from running samba in the shell:

lpcfg_load: refreshing parameters from /etc/samba/smb.conf
samba version 4.9.4 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2018
GENSEC backend 'gssapi_spnego' registered
GENSEC backend 'gssapi_krb5' registered
GENSEC backend 'gssapi_krb5_sasl' registered
GENSEC backend 'spnego' registered
GENSEC backend 'schannel' registered
GENSEC backend 'naclrpc_as_system' registered
GENSEC backend 'sasl-EXTERNAL' registered
GENSEC backend 'ntlmssp' registered
GENSEC backend 'ntlmssp_resume_ccache' registered
GENSEC backend 'http_basic' registered
GENSEC backend 'http_ntlm' registered
GENSEC backend 'http_negotiate' registered
GENSEC backend 'krb5' registered
GENSEC backend 'fake_gssapi_krb5' registered
register_process_model: PROCESS_MODEL 'single' registered
register_process_model: PROCESS_MODEL 'prefork' registered
register_process_model: PROCESS_MODEL 'standard' registered
AUTH backend 'sam' registered
AUTH backend 'sam_ignoredomain' registered
AUTH backend 'anonymous' registered
AUTH backend 'winbind' registered
AUTH backend 'name_to_ntstatus' registered
AUTH backend 'unix' registered
ldb_wrap open of privilege.ldb
binary_smbd_main: samba: using 'standard' process model
ldb: Unable to determine the DomainSID, can not enforce uniqueness
constraint on local domainSIDs

ldb: Unable to determine the DomainSID, can not enforce uniqueness
constraint on local domainSIDs

Searching for dsServiceName in rootDSE failed: operations error at
../source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/rootdse.c:518
Failed to find our own NTDS Settings DN in the ldb!
Failed to find our own NTDS Settings objectGUID in the ldb!
kdc_task_init: Cannot determine if we are an RODC: operations error at
../source4/dsdb/common/util.c:3534
task_server_terminate: task_server_terminate: [kdc: krb5_init_context samdb
RODC connect failed]
ldb: Unable to determine the DomainSID, can not enforce uniqueness
constraint on local domainSIDs

Searching for dsServiceName in rootDSE failed: operations error at
../source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/rootdse.c:518
Failed to find our own NTDS Settings DN in the ldb!
Failed to find our own NTDS Settings objectGUID in the ldb!
ldb: Unable to determine the DomainSID, can not enforce uniqueness
constraint on local domainSIDs

ldb: Unable to determine the DomainSID, can not enforce uniqueness
constraint on local domainSIDs

Searching for dsServiceName in rootDSE failed: operations error at
../source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/rootdse.c:518
Failed to find our own NTDS Settings DN in the ldb!
Failed to find our own NTDS Settings objectGUID in the ldb!
task_server_terminate: task_server_terminate: [dreplsrv: Failed to connect
to local samdb: WERR_DS_UNAVAILABLE
]
task_server_terminate: task_server_terminate: [kccsrv: Failed to connect to
local samdb: WERR_DS_UNAVAILABLE
]
ldb: Unable to determine the DomainSID, can not enforce uniqueness
constraint on local domainSIDs

../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:127: Unable to find DCs list - No such
Base DN: CN=Configuration,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=chCalling DNS name update
script
ldb: Unable to determine the DomainSID, can not enforce uniqueness
constraint on local domainSIDs

Calling SPN name update script
DCERPC endpoint server 'rpcecho' registered
DCERPC endpoint server 'epmapper' registered
DCERPC endpoint server 'remote' registered
ldb_wrap open of secrets.ldb
task_server_terminate: task_server_terminate: [dns: failed to load DNS
zones]
ldb: Unable to determine the DomainSID, can not enforce uniqueness
constraint on local domainSIDs

Failed to find object DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=ch for attribute
fsmoRoleOwner - Cannot find DN DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=ch to get attribute
fsmoRoleOwner for reference dn: No such Base DN: DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=ch
Failed to find if we are the PDC for this ldb: Searching for fSMORoleOwner
in DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=ch failed: Cannot find DN
DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=ch to get attribute fsmoRoleOwner for reference dn:
No such Base DN: DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=ch
DCERPC endpoint server 'wkssvc' registered
DCERPC endpoint server 'unixinfo' registered
DCERPC endpoint server 'samr' registered
DCERPC endpoint server 'netlogon' registered
DCERPC endpoint server 'dssetup' registered
DCERPC endpoint server 'lsarpc' registered
DCERPC endpoint server 'backupkey' registered
DCERPC endpoint server 'drsuapi' registered
DCERPC endpoint server 'browser' registered
DCERPC endpoint server 'eventlog6' registered
DCERPC endpoint server 'dnsserver' registered
/usr/bin/winbindd: winbindd version 4.9.4 started.
/usr/bin/winbindd: Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2018
/usr/bin/smbd: smbd version 4.9.4 started.
/usr/bin/smbd: Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2018
/usr/bin/winbindd: initialize_winbindd_cache: clearing cache and
re-creating with version number 2
/usr/bin/smbd: pdb backend samba_dsdb did not correctly init (error was
NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)
/usr/bin/smbd: pdb backend samba_dsdb did not correctly init (error was
NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)
/usr/bin/winbindd: daemon_ready: STATUS=daemon 'winbindd' finished starting
up and ready to serve connections
ldb: Unable to determine the DomainSID, can not enforce uniqueness
constraint on local domainSIDs

Searching for dsServiceName in rootDSE failed: operations error at
../source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/rootdse.c:518
Failed to find our own NTDS Settings DN in the ldb!
Failed to find our own NTDS Settings options in the ldb!
ldb: Unable to determine the DomainSID, can not enforce uniqueness
constraint on local domainSIDs

Searching for dsServiceName in rootDSE failed: operations error at
../source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/rootdse.c:518
Failed to find our own NTDS Settings DN in the ldb!
Failed to find our own NTDS Settings options in the ldb!
ldb: Unable to determine the DomainSID, can not enforce uniqueness
constraint on local domainSIDs

Searching for dsServiceName in rootDSE failed: operations error at
../source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/rootdse.c:518
Failed to find our own NTDS Settings DN in the ldb!
Failed to find our own NTDS Settings options in the ldb!
/usr/bin/winbindd: pdb backend samba_dsdb did not correctly init (error was
NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)
../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:127: Unable to find DCs list - No such
Base DN:
CN=Configuration,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=chsamba_runcmd_io_handler: Child
/usr/bin/samba_spnupdate exited 0
Completed SPN update check OK
ldb: Unable to determine the DomainSID, can not enforce uniqueness
constraint on local domainSIDs

Failed to open domain S-1-5-21-4280320235-2980747731-3738778716: No such
Base DN: DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=ch
stream_terminate_connection: Terminating connection - 'dcesrv:
NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED'
single_terminate: single_terminate: reason[dcesrv:
NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED]
ldb: Unable to determine the DomainSID, can not enforce uniqueness
constraint on local domainSIDs

Failed to open domain S-1-5-21-4280320235-2980747731-3738778716: No such
Base DN: DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=ch
stream_terminate_connection: Terminating connection - 'dcesrv:
NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED'
single_terminate: single_terminate: reason[dcesrv:
NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED]
ldb: Unable to determine the DomainSID, can not enforce uniqueness
constraint on local domainSIDs

Failed to open domain S-1-5-21-4280320235-2980747731-3738778716: No such
Base DN: DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=ch
stream_terminate_connection: Terminating connection - 'dcesrv:
NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED'
single_terminate: single_terminate: reason[dcesrv:
NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED]
/usr/bin/smbd: daemon_ready: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and
ready to serve connections
/usr/bin/smbd: pdb backend samba_dsdb did not correctly init (error was
NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)
Registered dc1<00> with 192.168.1.1 on interface 192.168.1.255
Registered dc1<00> with 127.0.0.1 on interface 127.255.255.255
Registered dc1<03> with 192.168.1.1 on interface 192.168.1.255
Registered dc1<03> with 127.0.0.1 on interface 127.255.255.255
Registered dc1<20> with 192.168.1.1 on interface 192.168.1.255
Registered dc1<20> with 127.0.0.1 on interface 127.255.255.255
Registered samdom<1c> with 192.168.1.1 on interface 192.168.1.255
Registered samdom<1c> with 127.0.0.1 on interface 127.255.255.255
Registered samdom<00> with 192.168.1.1 on interface 192.168.1.255
Registered samdom<00> with 127.0.0.1 on interface 127.255.255.255
../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:330: Failed DNS update - with error code
110